Saturday, April 09, 2005

Finding Nilbo

I know you're all dying for photos of Neiko, but Mr. Ants in His Pants won't still long enough.

The other reason I'm not posting a new kitty photo just yet is that I wanted to show and tell of my first experience of 'meeting someone from the blogosphere' in the flesh.

On Thursday night, single T and I caught up with Nils Ling, aka Nilbo, at the McManus Theatre here in London, where he performed his one-man show "The Truth About Daughters".



What a great show. Hilarious, poignant and truly entertaining. I found myself smiling like a proud mom (that would be a kitty-mom; I have no other experience on which to draw) all the way through the show. "He's really funny!" I said as I kept nudging single T. Of course, Mat was beaming as the proud mentor who had successfully turned his wife into a geek. I not only had my own blog, I was now meeting fellow bloggers in the flesh.

Catching up with Nilbo after the show:

me: "Great show! I'm [state your name], otherwise known as the niffer."

[big handshake and hug ensues; thanks for coming, great to meet you, etc.]

Nilbo to Mat: "You must be the super hot husband she writes about."

[Mat looking a little shocked, 'wow, someone actually reads her blog! And I really don't think I'm hot.']

Nilbo to me: "I guess you couldn't bring the fat cat. He probably wouldn't fit in the car seat."

I'm not sure what I enjoyed more, the show or our brief hello afterwards. It's such a strange but gratifying experience to meet a friend from the Internet. It's almost like having an imaginary friend that only you can see, then suddenly, one day, everyone can see him too. I hope to meet more of you someday soon.

It was great meeting you Nilbo. Good luck with the rest of your performances, and please tell your daughter that I wish her new kitty well.

7 Comments:

At April 10, 2005 at 10:34 p.m., Blogger Nilbo said...

I loved meeting you, too, darlin' ... and of course, your super-hot guy (!)... it was lovely to be able to tie a name and face and voice and laugh to the words I read ...

I have met other people from the net, and as you go along, you'll find that the warnings all the well-meaning "non-net" people give you about how "you really don't know who these people are, they could be just lying to you", are only good advice for the hopelessly gullible. For the most part, when I read what people write, when I get that glimpse into their thoughts, I figure I have a pretty accurate take on the soul within.

I knew you'd be pleasant, cute, funny, and fun, from what I read here - and you were. It's gratifying to know you weren't disappointed either. Although that is a far better picture of you than it is of me - is my head really that lopsided???

On the long road home now after this lil tour ... meeting you guys was a highlight. And by the way, my daughter's new cat has settled in nicely, and gratefully, to her new home. Hope things are going well with your new arrival!

 
At April 10, 2005 at 10:34 p.m., Blogger Nilbo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At April 10, 2005 at 10:35 p.m., Blogger Nilbo said...

eeeps - I apologize for the double post - got an error message, so I re-sent ...

 
At April 11, 2005 at 10:48 a.m., Blogger the niffer said...

No worries. It was a very nice comment, so I don't mind reading it twice.

And your head is not lopsided.

 
At April 11, 2005 at 4:11 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Niffer,

I'm not gay or anything, but you're as good looking as you are cool. =)

 
At April 12, 2005 at 10:09 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cute picture!

You know another cute picture I can think of for you to post? ONE OF NEIKO! That cat has got to sleep sometime. Niffer, you're holding out on me...

 
At April 12, 2005 at 12:25 p.m., Blogger the niffer said...

Deleted, you're hilarious. I often start my sentences "I'm not gay, but...". Thanks for the complement! I totally disagree, but you have a right to your opinion :)

Kalki - alright already. Tonight. I promise. He's such a spaz! I love him TO DEATH.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home